Arm yourself with the knowledge to be confident in the gym, the skill to understand any workout design, and the power to crush any challenge.
Here’s a question for you…
- Have you ever started a fitness program only to quit after getting bored or seeing no results?
- Have you ever walked into a gym motivated to workout but found yourself uncomfortable in the gym environment?
- Are you a Soldier who is always nervous when taking the APFT?
These are the questions that motivated me to create this place. There are plenty of fitness professionals with slick websites and fancy credentials out there; I’m just not one of them. Like you, I’m just a guy on a fitness journey.
Hi, I’m Justin, and I would like to personally welcome you to my site. I’m the husband to a beautiful wife, father to an incredible daughter, and mentor to an amazing group of Soldiers that inspire me to be just a little bit better every day.
I’m not a fitness guru. As a professional warfighter fitness is an integral part of my life’s journey. Other than a few exceptional moments (graduating basic combat and airborne school, or that time I ran a marathon) I feel like I struggled with fitness most of my life. But I know how to set a goal and I enjoy the process, the struggle, of accomplishing it (I also enjoy celebrating the accomplishment).
This site is about me. It’s a collection of thoughts, advice, research and experimentation in endurance, tactical fitness, strength training, and bodybuilding. I use the gym as my personal research and experimentation lab where I work to achieve a perfect balance between being an instrument of war and day-to-day life. I believe it is provision of knowledge (instead of bullshit marketing) that will be the real key to successful avoidance of misinformation, disinformation and the flat-out lies of the fitness industry. There are no magic bullets, potions, or short term dietary interventions that will turn you superhuman.
You’ve read this far…
That must mean you are ready to make a change. Well, you’re in the right place. I’m not a trainer. I’m not here to whimsically dispense professional or medical advice. But I am here to teach, coach, and mentor. I’m here to point you in the right direction when you have questions, to help pick you up and get you moving when you need a little motivation, to help you find your goals, and to help you achieve them decisively.
Here at JustinSloan.com, I’m building the fitness website that I always wanted. Full-disclosure. I’ll show you what works (and doesn’t work) for me, teach you about the training principles I follow, point out my successes, failures, and struggles, and try to debunk the bro-science taught in the gym and on the PT field. I’ll even share with you my exact daily training regimen, every rep, every weight, every goal, and every result.
[bctt tweet=”Become smarter, stronger, and harder to kill with free workouts from the Chief at JustinSloan.com” via=”no”]
What will I find here?
- My personal training journal with my daily workout, posted at 4 am each morning. This is the most frequently updated part of my site with a new post every day, 365 days a year. I share what I am doing on that particular day, whether it is barbell training, functional/tactical fitness, skill work, cardio endurance, or an easy rest day with a few thoughts for the day. I also comment on these posts with the results of my workout after I finish, which typically include the weights used, event time, and reflections on the workout.
- Original editorials and commentary on military life, tactical fitness, and what it’s really like to live and train as a US Army Soldier. This is where I share ideas, express opinions, and answer your questions.
- Original articles covering the basics of exercise, nutrition, and training. Granted, I’m no expert, so these articles are really just my opinion on the topic, but I love to study the art and science of fitness and to share what I have learned.
- Reviews of new and interesting products. It seems like there is a new pre-workout supplement on the shelf every week, or a new protein meal replacement bar or snack of some kind. I’ll give them a try and tell you what I think.
- An extensive Training Dictionary providing definitions and explanations of fitness terms, such as Citrulline Malate and why it is a useful supplement, or what proprioception is and why it is an important skill to develop.
- A large collection of popular CrossFit workouts and original workouts inspired by military leaders, special operators, and some of the industry’s greatest coaches. These are my favorite workouts that I include when programing and scheduling my training, and is frequently updated.